Search Switch
Remove

Is it acceptable for rich people to use public buses?

Is it acceptable for rich people to use public buses?

Postby r1111 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:19 am

Hello,
Is it acceptable of people from all classes to ride public buses in Thailand. For some reason I am getting the idea that in Bangkok if you are not poor you should not be riding a public bus even tough buses are an environmentally friendly way of getting around compared to private cars. Please tell me if my thinking is justified and why this may be so?
r1111

Re: Is it acceptable for rich people to use public buses?

Postby Forensics1 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:24 am

By their picture in the society page I guess.

Maybe the Rolex or the big diamond ring?

How does your question answer the original question would be my question.

I do not have an answer but you might be of assistance to someone. Try it, you might like it.
Forensics1

Postby PaulR on Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:55 am

I will point this out from 19 years-old Thai-American perspective. My grandma always told me that the rich were more likely not to take public transportation. This is because of "chun rui chui mai son jai kon jon." Which means, "Because I am rich I don't need to lay myself down to look from same perspective or share a seat with low class people." (Apologize for my words but it's true.) Ego, arrogant, etc..... are some elements that add up to. This problem also exists in United States. However, in a realistic world there should be no barrier between the rich and the poor. Any other opinion would be greatly appreciated because different families might look at this situation from other view.

:cheers: Love and Peace are still the best way to solve a conflict.
PaulR

Postby Thonglor10 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:18 am

Well I do think that it is an interesting topic. However, I see that around a lot of large cities, that people are turning to public transport to get places more quickly. Moreover, where the public system gets more customers, then there is the opportunity for the overall system to be able to invest more in new buses and the conversion to cleaner fuel. For Bangkok, the overall transport system continues to improve - and this is a good thing!
Thonglor10

Postby geeman88 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:14 pm

To answer the question, YES. It is absolutely acceptable for a rich/high class individual to ride public transportation. As PaulR was saying, most rich/high class people don't want to; whether that's they would rather drive their fancy car, they want just don't want to be see the perspective of the "poor" or other reasons.
That being said public transportation was kind of designed for the poor, as a cheap alternative to owning and maintaining a vehicle and lowering co2 emissions. So, you might see a lot more poor individuals on the public systems than rich and as asian hand stated how do you know? Does it matter? You don't have to be poor to care about the environment or help improve the local transit systems, by using it and paying fares.
geeman88

Postby framptn1972 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:19 am

The rich are paying for it thru their taxes, right? In USA no matter how much you pay in taxes, all people get the same level of service out of the system. A couple $ fare to travel point A to B. Maybe in the future a person will have to present a color/status Id card and your color/status will determine how much investigation the police will do or how much water the fire department will use, or how many hours the teacher will teach your kid.... Riduculous I know but whose to say it won't happen...
framptn1972

Postby Sci-nerd on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:58 am

Yes. Everyone can and are welcome to use the public transportation ie busses in Thailand.

I have lived in Bangkok for some time, where you will see a large variety of busses in the streets. But they are all usable for everyone.

Although class difference and face culture will prevent the local rich Thai to take the bus. If you have money you take your own car, a scooter or a taxi. This is also why the Thai in the bus usually stare and giggle a bit, when a foreigner jump on a bus. They think you are rich, so they wonder why you would want to take the bus. So the face culture becomes inverse - the poor in the bus will think less of you (a foreigner) if you grab the bus. Then it becomes a problem for your own self esteem, if you bother about other people's thoughts.

However.. this is a passing issue. Modern times and will eventually end old customs and habits.

Also - it is noted that busses in Thailand are an environmental friendly way of getting around.
This is a myth!
Very few bus routes in the world are less polluting than individuals taking a car in stead. Please read up on the research on public transportation pollution.
Sci-nerd

Return to Thai airports, trains, buses, public transport