Search Switch
Remove

Farang cannot know Thai-ness

Re: Farang cannot know Thai-ness

Postby overhaul38 on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:42 pm

oilyrag wrote:All farang have a simple choice, if you don't like Thai culture get a plane back home or somewhere you will be happier. For me I love the place and the people, I will be staying!!

Love it or leave it! Works every time. I am sure I will never see a post from you complaining about anything.
overhaul38

Postby saharat on Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:29 pm

thompson wrote:The general Thai view is that some farangs may know a lot about Thai politics, culture, way of life and so on, but they will never be able to reach the core of Thai-ness.

In retrospect, the traditional elite have always viewed themselves as being caught in the dilemma of whether to wipe out the threatening farang culture or to welcome its modernity.

Worthless writing

Go back to sleep Mr Pavin!!

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opin ... understand

This Post Bag reader reply is worth a read:

Contrary to the premise of the article about the impossibility of farangs to comprehend Thailand ("Farang cannot know - even if they do understand," Bangkok Post, Aug 31), Thais often have to turn to farangs living on the other side of the world to learn about their own country, as we have seen in many high-profile corruption cases as well as in the identification of other social ills, particularly in the areas of human rights and human trafficking.

Thais are often uniquely incapable of learning about their own country, being too deeply entangled in the characteristics of Thai-ness that prevent them from seeking the truth. They are hampered by superstition, the importance of image over substance and of social harmony over truth, a natural tolerance of social ills, and a willingness to smooth things over instead of addressing ugly problems head on.

Farangs are an asset to Thailand in many ways, including their objective view of Thai society that exposes obvious truths that are often invisible to Thais.

CHA-AM JAMAL
:cheers: i agree totally.it is said some hill tribes can trace their family history back 20 generations.yet they have never set foot in a school their entire life. i know of some thai's not sure of the age of some immediate family members. :lol:
saharat

Postby arakich on Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:45 am

whoops, wrong button
arakich

Postby ponsasinor on Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:12 am

overhaul38, you seem a little sensitive, must be getting a lot of this "Yank Bashing". I can say as a Westerner (New Zealand, so actually a Southerner) who has lived and travelled in many Western countries, that our cousins in the US do seem to have a lower bar when it comes to knowing about countries outside of their own. Probably for the same reasons that ancient Romans might not have bothered knowing much about "Barbarians" outside of Rome.

A great example from my experience; I was at a supermarket check out recently, in Tucson, AZ where I've been living for a few years now, and this check out girl did the usual" ohh, I love your accent, where are you from?", to which I replied "Thanks (groan), New Zealand", and she said "wow, thats great!, so what language do they speak where you come from?". (???!!!). ""Pygmalion" darling, have you heard of it?".

My on-topic point, agreeing with an earlier poster, is that Thais certainly do not have any monopoly on ignorance, and it is especially rich to hear "Yanks" calling Thais ignorant. Given the relative amount of government spending per-capita on education in the US and Thailand it's amazing that they know anything really, aye?

Another thing, I've been married to a Thai for ten years now. Far from being a bar girl I met her in NZ. She worked for a
Government Dept and had won a scholarship to go there and learn English. From a poor family. She is a highly moral person, within her own ethical framework, who has ingrained Buddhism. I respect her and her World view far more than, I can say, the majority of Westerners and their World views I've known in my life.

And by the way, my "sin sod" was an IOU :-)
ponsasinor

Postby overhaul38 on Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:28 am

PONSASINOR.
It seem you have found your niche.
I am sure your highly intelligent countrymen, Maori and the sheep miss you.
overhaul38

Postby sundayjam on Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:39 pm

I absolutely refuse to get drawn into the bone-headed-American or pompous poo-poo-head arguments again.
All the bonehead and poo-poo-head arguments are dripping with irony about misunderstanding another culture...never mind Thai-ness. I do have to admit that reading the pompous ramblings of a cosmopolitan Kiwi was a first. I always thought of them as...oh, never mind.

I would add this bit of American wisdom about getting fleeced in a business deal or marriage deal, "a fool and his money are soon parted."

A few comments on the general topic:

*I was surprised that a Thai would not think of himself as being superstitious. Thai's follow the middle path...really?

*I'm not sure lack of driving skills or road rules have anything to do with Thai-ness. Still, I don't think I would ever risk driving in Bangkok. I know that Thais hate illegal u-turns...and 200 baht buys your way out of a ticket.

*what does the typical mass-media in Thailand say about Thai-ness? There is an awful lot of cheesy melodrama mixed with slapstick humor...whether you are in Bangkok or the sticks...it's always the same dish on TV. What's up with that?
sundayjam

Postby thinkabaht on Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:19 pm

RogerRamjet wrote:thinkabit,
I actually don't think you thought a lot when you wrote the above.
You lump all the people who live in Thailand, who came from other countries, into one basket and call all of us "we", insinuating that "we" are all, as you describe the "we", disillusioned western men who hang out in bars and join forums to bitch, now that is very sad. Perhaps you might like to rethink that statement.
And then you do the same thing again in the next paragraph... how do you know where the "we" live?
And if you believe someone has 250 single Thai girlfriends (who all refuse to go out with the man) then they can't be girlfriends.
Perhaps you should look at yourself and ask, why did I write that?

Well, Mr Ramjet, I see a lot of effort went into your intelligent and accurate post. I particularly like your suggestion that I look at myself and ask why I wrote that. Very provocative:0)

Joking aside, its clear to see that you haven't understood what I wrote and why I wrote it. This may be because you have a limited understanding of the issues being debated or you simply haven't read the thread properly. I wasn't lumping all "khon tahng prathet" into one basket, I was aiming my point at those people guilty of blind stupidity, self righteousness and hypocracy. If you are not guilty then it does not apply to you, however, your post was very defensive..........where do you live???
thinkabaht

Postby loong on Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:04 am

I am Thai and I don't know what Thainess is! Anyone know what Thainess is pls enlighten me. Thank you.
loong

Postby paulc on Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:10 am

ponsasinor wrote:overhaul38, you seem a little sensitive, must be getting a lot of this "Yank Bashing". I can say as a Westerner (New Zealand, so actually a Southerner) who has lived and travelled in many Western countries, that our cousins in the US do seem to have a lower bar when it comes to knowing about countries outside of their own. Probably for the same reasons that ancient Romans might not have bothered knowing much about "Barbarians" outside of Rome.

A great example from my experience; I was at a supermarket check out recently, in Tucson, AZ where I've been living for a few years now, and this check out girl did the usual" ohh, I love your accent, where are you from?", to which I replied "Thanks (groan), New Zealand", and she said "wow, thats great!, so what language do they speak where you come from?". (???!!!). ""Pygmalion" darling, have you heard of it?".

My on-topic point, agreeing with an earlier poster, is that Thais certainly do not have any monopoly on ignorance, and it is especially rich to hear "Yanks" calling Thais ignorant. Given the relative amount of government spending per-capita on education in the US and Thailand it's amazing that they know anything really, aye?

Another thing, I've been married to a Thai for ten years now. Far from being a bar girl I met her in NZ. She worked for a
Government Dept and had won a scholarship to go there and learn English. From a poor family. She is a highly moral person, within her own ethical framework, who has ingrained Buddhism. I respect her and her World view far more than, I can say, the majority of Westerners and their World views I've known in my life.

And by the way, my "sin sod" was an IOU :-)

Your supercilious sense of superiority is amusing. I'm sure we could find many New Zealanders who could not find Queenstown or Lower Hutt on a map or know the language spoken in Singapore or Malaysia.
I don't think that many of the people calling Thais ignorant are Yanks, on the contrary, the majority of posters are Aussies, New Zealanders or Europeans. My point is: don't knock the intelligence of the citizens of your guest country whether Thailand or YankLand.
paulc

Ways of Knowing if you have Thai-ness or not.

Postby hamthong2 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:06 pm

26 Ways of Knowing if you have Thai-ness or not.

1.You look four ways before crossing a one way street.

2.You put salt and chilli on your fruit…

3.A Thai cop stops you for a minor infraction and you automatically reach for your wallet..

4.You think that a Honda City is a prestigious car.

5.You can't remember the last time you wore a suit and tie.

6.You think a polo shirt and jeans are formal attire.

7.You aren't upset when the bar girl next to you eats beetles as a snack.

8.You wake up in the morning and realize that you have nowhere to go and all day to get there.

9.You think white wine goes well with Som Tam.

10.You understand when your Thai wife says, My friend you or Same, same, but different.

11.A Thai bar girl you've just met tells you that her mother is deathly ill and you just laugh and walk away.

12.You realize that your Thai wife's loyalties belong to

1st. Her parents.
2nd. Her brats from a previous marriage to other Thai-scoundrels who deserted her.
3rd. Any remaining blood relatives.
4th. The family's buffalo.
5th. The family's goldfish.
and Last… "You"

13.You consider your mobile phone a fashion accessory.

14.You start wearing sandals everywhere…

15.You start driving cars barefeet…

16.You no longer enjoy Songkran. Instead, you stay home with a stack of videos.

17.You become an expert on buying and selling gold jewellery.

18.You believe that buying a gold chain is an acceptable courtship ritual, or at least a form of foreplay.

19.Dogs become animals you'd rather kick than pet.

20.You believe someone with an IQ of 90 is really intelligent…

21.When driving a car you'll start using every free inch of the road.

22.You flash your 4 indicator lights when driving straight on at an intersection.

23.It's two days before payday, so you only go to bars with balloons strung outside…

24.You realize that all the important words in Thai begin with the letter S. Sanuk (Fun), Saduak (convenient), Sabai (comfortable), Suay (pretty).

25.You think a calendar more useful than a watch…

26.You stand in the shadow of a telephone pole while waiting for a bus...

IF You Can confess to any one of these "YOU HAVE THAI-NESS"
hamthong2

PreviousNext

Return to Living in Thailand - adjusting + settling in