Search Switch
Remove

Farang cannot know Thai-ness

Re: Farang cannot know Thai-ness

Postby DocN on Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:16 pm

Of course we can not know thai-ness...
1) we are all just here to screw our brains out and drink ourselves senseless!
2) we only hang out in Pattaya or Patpong and with those horrible bar girls (have any of you thai-people ever noticed or even bothered, that you are SO racist towards your own kind? Bar girls or Isaan people? just lazy. looking for easy money...any of you EVER got the idea how "easy" the money is, having smelly, old sweaty guys f*** you for 2000 baht! Wow...I bet, now you are considering a career in prostitution as well, don't you?!)
3) if we don't like it here, we can just leave! No further argument needed!

Yep ...all of you can do without us farangs and sure there doesnt need to be way of walking towards each other, trying to understand!
Ok...goes for both sides: if you just come here to drink and party and holiday and just think the allmighty dollar (pound, euro...you name it) will get you respect or even love here...
But what about the Thais (not all of them...I personally know some that I would call reasonable) coming down from their ivory-tower, thinking that they are the best thing since bread came sliced?
You can do without us?
Stop watching Premiere League for a change.
Last time I checked, there wasn't a lot of "thai ness" in Liverpool and Chelsea!
But that's the point, isnt it: farang-ness is good, as long as you can have an advantage out of it!
Once it hits you in the face, it's "Farang go home!"
Racism is bad, in all forms...but some of us (Thais and farang) turned it into an art!
DocN

Postby benp on Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:44 pm

it doesnt matter a jot to me whether farangs 'cannot know thai-ness'. you know what the saying is 'when in rome........'.
every country and its people have their own peculiarities and certainly thailand has its own. having moved here about three years ago there is no way that i will be leaving! i have found what i have been looking for all my life, a beautiful country with beautiful people!
if farangs or thais want to worry about us farangs 'cannot know thai-ness' then its up to them. sure they have their own way of doing things but in the end it gets done. true bribery and corruption is a big issue here, at least here you know what to expect. where i came from corruption is on a much greater scale but no one knows about it! (unless it happens to you of course). the sad thing about it is that in thailand it is mostly the ordinary citizen or the poor farmer who has to part with his hard earned baht to get what he rightly deserves, free of charge!
benp

Postby benp on Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:51 pm

jeetu, you cannot get away with making a statement like that.......... how are the farangs ruining thai culture?? can you supply some evidence of this?? surely it is up to the thai people themselves to ensure that no one can ruin their culture. speaking for myself, i am here for a number of good reasons, love is the one thing i can think of, thai culture is the second. i love the culture of the thais and respect it and would never contemplate ruining something that has been here for hundreds of years!
benp

Postby bkkyo on Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:18 pm

to hamthong2 - thanks, good one sanook
but think you have forgotten two
- you see it as normal to have a roll of toiletpaper on the table instead of napkins
- you consider to buy a motocy as family transport

agree on all others but as I don't eat Somthan do not know if white wine is ok but
if I know my Thais has to be red wine with ice in it - more 'na yai'

one of the posters here considered 'farang' a bad word. If I am informed right it
comes from 'farancet' which is Thai for French as they were amongst the first
Westernes to come here (Indochina). I am therefore not insulted, if children point
at me and shout 'farang, farang' I point at them and talk back 'Khon Thai - Khon
Thai' helps mostly to 'break the ice'

otherwise am feeling good here - enjoy it most of the time
bkkyo

Postby paulc on Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:01 pm

ponsasinor wrote:You Yanks seem to have pretty thin skins. Why are you all taking it so personally that I point out, in defence of Thais, that being ignorant about the rest of the World isn't something that only happens in Thailand?

The dumb check out girl could have just as easily have been in Otrohanga. But hey feel free to call me names, insult my country, Maori, our national prediliction for sheep, I don't give two shits what annonymous flamers think when it comes down to it.

As far as understanding "Thainess" goes, I don't think I do yet, after 15 years or so of knowing Thais, but
I have a lot of fun getting by with my lack of understanding with Thais. Viva la difference.

As a newbie Canadian to this site it would be much more civilized if everyone stuck to the subject of the forum.
I would just add that I didn't read that anyone called you a name but it appears the post was in response to your:
"a bit like the yanks............ dont know much about their own country and even less about the rest of the world! pity....."
which to my mind had nothing to do with the subject and made me wonder how you managed to live among the Yanks for several years with such a low opinion.
paulc

Postby thinkabaht on Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:37 pm

RogerRamjet wrote:thinkabaht,
For your information I live in Thailand and have lived here for 12 years. I live in Nontharburi. My Thai wife, who worked as an accountant for BMW, when I met her, is now the chief accountant for a multinational company; yes, she still works. I have never been to a bar in Thailand, anywhere, because I don't drink and even if I did I wouldn't go to a bar.
Now I understand what you are saying; you're saying Thais are never guilty of blind stupidity, self righteousness and hypocrisy, just the "farangs" that drink in bars?..... Don't Thais drink in bars as well?
Loong, in the last post says exactly what I said before in this thread.
So please tell us about Thainess? And think before you do.

I didn't join this forum to get involved in a tit for tat argument with anybody. I mearly put out my point to anyone who could understand it and, for the second time you have demonstrated a general lack of understanding and your inability to respond with anything contructive. Your first post, if you go back and read it, was defensive and without any substance. What was it you were trying to say?

The above post is also defensive and slightly childish in nature, not to mention inaccurate. I never wrote, in any of my posts that "Thais are never guilty of blind stupidity, self righteousness and hypocrisy, just the "farangs" that drink in bars?" and I never suggested that Thai people don't drink in bars! Also, you mention that in your first post that you say exactly as Khun Loong did when he wrote "I am Thai and I don't know what Thainess is! Anyone know what Thainess is pls enlighten me..." but you never wrote anything even slightly resembling that.

I am sorry to be so pedantic but most of the people who have posted on this thread are actually making some sort of point and, although I dont agree with many of them, their writing is at least intelligent.

To avoid any further misunderstanding I will deconstruct what I wrote and simplify it for you:
Small mindedness in not Thainess. Deceitfulness is not Thainess. Stupidity is not Thainess. Xenophobia is not Thainess. Ignorance is not Thainess. These qualities are not Thai qualities, they are human qualities. Gambling and prostitution are two of the oldest rackets on the planet and practiced in one form or another across the whole planet.

To criticize all Thais based on the behaviour of a few is blind ignorance and we should know better.
thinkabaht

Postby MonkeyP on Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:15 pm

Strange beast, this Thai-ness, unlike, say, American-ness, or English-ness which appear to have largely positive attributes: rationality, reasonableness, rigor, accountability and transparency in governance, fairness, civility, to name but a few. Perhaps it's not so much that farangs cannot know Thai-ness as that they cannot see much of themselves or their vaunted values in Thailand. On the other hand, perhaps the phrase-maker (Farang cannot know Thai-ness) feels farangs shouldn't pry so closely, or impose so much, the not untypical reaction of those on the receiving end of Western knowledge.
MonkeyP

Postby paulc on Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:59 am

sundayjam wrote:I absolutely refuse to get drawn into the bone-headed-American or pompous poo-poo-head arguments again.
All the bonehead and poo-poo-head arguments are dripping with irony about misunderstanding another culture...never mind Thai-ness. I do have to admit that reading the pompous ramblings of a cosmopolitan Kiwi was a first. I always thought of them as...oh, never mind.

I would add this bit of American wisdom about getting fleeced in a business deal or marriage deal, "a fool and his money are soon parted."

A few comments on the general topic:

*I was surprised that a Thai would not think of himself as being superstitious. Thai's follow the middle path...really?

*I'm not sure lack of driving skills or road rules have anything to do with Thai-ness. Still, I don't think I would ever risk driving in Bangkok. I know that Thais hate illegal u-turns...and 200 baht buys your way out of a ticket.

*what does the typical mass-media in Thailand say about Thai-ness? There is an awful lot of cheesy melodrama mixed with slapstick humor...whether you are in Bangkok or the sticks...it's always the same dish on TV. What's up with that?

I will say that very few people have a clue as to what Thai-ness is and the Thais are very often contradictory.
I couldn't help but note that you fell into the common trap of protesting too much. Not being drawn into an "argument" but being drawn in nevertheless. Who was trying to drawn you in? Of course you were unable to refrain from making a few insulting remarks. Granted the Kiwi was pompous and overbearing but how were you able to discern the cranial construction of the American (?) and it might even have been an American or English or Canadian or Mexican.
We are curious as to what you always thought the Kiwis were...kind...thoughtful...helpful...humble...complimentary?
paulc

Postby paulc on Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:29 am

RogerRamjet wrote:paulc,
If you wish to comment with your researched view, please do so, otherwise stop telling people what you want them to do/believe/act/think/say. Your first sentence told us you knew nothing, then you attack the person, not the topic.

I'm so very sorry that you were offended but after reading these posts I suppose that happens often.
I did not realize that you were the only one who could tell anyone what you want them to do/believe/act/think/say although I don't believe I did either of those and I would be hard pressed to identify any of these posts that are RESEARCHED.
When one of your subjects calls another person a bone head and a pompous poo-poo head they can expect a response but I suppose you had no objection to that post.
paulc

Postby paulc on Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:09 am

RogerRamjet wrote:paulc,
Let me quote you:
As a newbie Canadian to this site it would be much more civilized if everyone stuck to the subject of the forum.
I was not offended. However I did read; We are curious as to what you always thought the Kiwis were.....etc.
You did say "we", which insinuates you are speaking for all of us, which you are not. That is why I wrote what I did.
If you don't think answers are researched, I would suggest you go back to May when the protests were in full swing, just look under politics.

Please be advised that my response was to sundayjam in RESPONSE to his insults, unless you don't consider bonehead and pompous poo poo head to be insults, to a poster and I don't think anyone would classify his post as researched. In addition, you should know that every "we" does not include you. I was referring to WE the students in my class here in Montreal. We (again, not to include you) follow these forums with great interest. Keep up the thoughtful, insightful, in-depth postings on the very diverse subjects affecting Thailand. We follow your postings daily.
paulc

PreviousNext

Return to Living in Thailand - adjusting + settling in