Search Switch
Remove

reciprocal agreements

reciprocal agreements

Postby tingtong on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:37 pm

Not only do ex prime ministers live in exile but any wealthy Thai can buy what they like in Uk. I dont know about other countries but I suspect the same.

Not only can a Thai buy a house to live in, but hotels and even football teams of national importance.

A six month visa is the smallest visa now issued by the Uk.

I saw a documentary of a Thai family living in London, they had many branches of Thai restaurants and were worth millions of pounds.

I dont understand why the British Embassy are not making an official request for a reciprocal agreement.

I don't want a Hotel or a restaurant, just a small bungalow of say 1 rai for my own personal domestic retirement.

Yes I can buy with a' 'mickey mouse' company and pay lawers to find loop holes and getting Thia partners to sign resignation and power of attorney papers. At the end of the day I own the land through some non profit making company that the Thai government don't like. Wouldnt it be better to clear the red tape out of the way and just own it in my name properly.

British Government,--please ask the Thais to honour the reciprocal agreements in regard to land purchase in Thailand. Even if it were to be domestic 1 rai only.

If we don't ask, we don't get.
tingtong

Re: reciprocal agreements

Postby twk on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:19 pm

This is a good point made. In the US a Thai can own land, business and house. There should be a reciprical agreement that is enforceable. This is why I have land, house and business in Lao. I can own outright and I have good business with China and Vietnam. Soon I will be adding Cambodia to my list of business locations. All are very user friendly once you have the necessary prerequisites done. Thailand is a very uneducated country that tries to claim it is on top of the real deal. But in the end it is set up for a revolution that will not be good for the country. The rural poor majority will rise against the rich minority and one of three things will come out of the dust. Communism, Fascism or (ahemm) Democracy that represents all people. I do not do business with Thailand at this time because at every turn I find that Thailand wants to export cheaply but make it very expensive to receive imports. I have found demands for money from the border guards, immigration officials, work permit offices and business people that could open the door and make it easy to complete a transaction. I wish our governments would put the pressure on Thailand to honor reciprical ethics and conditions but even the US is imputent in these matters. On the other hand what does Thailand really offer the global community? Lets see.....sex trade and tourist destinations with sex trade. One thing for sure...when you come to Thailand you do get scrwd.
twk

Postby Martinus on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:09 pm

Isn't the reason of all these immigrants-to-stay in your country one of the most important reasons you are here??
So on one hand you don't like the way it works, but now you want to have the same privileges
I like it the way the Thai keep their land to themselves.....you can sometimes own a business, even own land through your business but it will not be yours. It also keeps the prices down due to less speculations and that is why, if you were allowed to :),you could afford it....
Martinus

Postby twk on Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:31 pm

Martinus it is the elite Thai that is creating the speculation and the gap between the rich and the poor. In every instance it is proven that where there is a large group of foreign and mixed marriages in Thailand the economy is substancially better than in areas where they are not located. We do not take and take. I would be happy to employ and pay a better than local wage to the area Thai citizens. You need to do more research on what you opinionate. I am here because I have been teaching and working overseas for 31 years. I by experience find my life style and standard of living are better suited for me here. I do not seek wealth or riches. I do seek the meager comforts, respect, and courtisy (sp) that all deserve. We (Americans) are a country that for centuries have offered all that wish to succeed an opportunity to find their dream not deny it. It has created a great country and economy that changed the world. As you can see it can have an adverse effect on the world at times but it is a country made of immigrants from the world. I am a decendant of French. The only true American is the Native American Indian. So just remember, we are immigrants seeking the same rights as we give to others. Even the American Thai are in the same boat as us on these matters.
twk

Postby Thulsa Doom on Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:51 pm

[quote="tingtong"]Not only do ex prime ministers live in exile but any wealthy Thai can buy what they like in Uk. I dont know about other countries but I suspect the same.

Wrong tingtong

In general rule, Thai citizens are not allowed to own land, house, or condo in Switzerland. They are allowed to do so only under the following conditions:

1) Having permanent residency (which can be obtained after 12 years of continuous journey here). In such case, they can own only their main property but are not allowed to buy any other one for speculation. Of course, if they lose for any reason their permanent residency status, they are not allowed to own anything anymore and must sell their property in a given time.

2)Buying property through the Law of Swiss Property Purchase by Foreigners living abroad. Thai citizens who are not resident in Switzerland have the right to buy one property under authorization of Swiss Government as holiday property. Such properties are alvailable in a limited number per year and are situated in specific and mandatory places. Of course the Swiss Government can refuse such privilege for any reason it wants.

3) Thai companies based in Switzerland are not allowed to own Swiss land( (it means majority of Thai shareowners)

4) Swiss companies but managed by a Thai CEO are not allowed to own Swiss land.

I give you an example: the Prime Minister of Italy Mr Berlusconi who is as rich as Thaksin had his purchase of a property in East Switzerland refused. Finally he bought and owned it through his mother who is an Italian permanent resident in Switzerland since many years.

So i am quite sure that Thaksin even if he is so rich can buy anything he wants in Switzerland...
Thulsa Doom

Postby poundoffillet on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:42 pm

i have lived in thailand for over 5 years now, am happily married to a thai lady. i have a nice home a big plot of land and a nice car, and i have no qualms about everything being in my wifes name.but i do wish that thailand would have a reciprocal agreement with the uk over visas. if i want to take my wife to the uk she first gets a 6 month visa, then if we go again she has to get a 2 year visa, at the end of those 2 years provided she has commited no crimes she gets a permanent visa and is free to come and go as she pleases, so why cant i get the same treatment from the thai goverment.
poundoffillet

Postby shakeyd on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:39 pm

I agree in part with the OP about a recipcal agreement with Thailand, I have read on this posting from others that it is not a given in all countries that Thais can own land or even own business land but this is not the case in the UK. Anyone who has the correct visa and right to stay can buy land build a house and own a business no matter the size and if they need land then they can buy that land for the business.

I think what Thais are scared of is that all these Farangs want other parity such as voting rights and other such rights given to Thai nationals.I understand that also land price could go through the roof thus pushing the local population out of the market but this could be avoided if the goverment allocate certain areas for Forieng purchase only.The bottom line is that Thailand has to at some point relax the rules for those that have made Thailand there home and keep there noses clean and abide by the law of the land like anywhere else in the world.

I have been here now for 5 years and been happily married for 3 of those 5 years and I pay my tax and contribute to the local economy without any question but until I could buy land or property without jumping throught a maze of red tape I would only rent as I don't want to lose my shirt if it all goes wrong.The British goverment are not ever going to push for parity as they have no backbone and I'm sure they are happy with the staus quo regarding relations with Thailand.

Thankyou Thailand for allowing me to stay here and to all those who can't live in peace with the rules, I'm afraid you will have to wait for another generation for anything to change or you could simply give up and move on but either way you are here as a guest and these are the rules so as they say over here " up to you ". :cheers:
shakeyd

Postby shakeyd on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:14 am

What a shame Scyriacus you failed to read my post and understand it,

Lets take one of your comments and make you understand something clear.
Farangs cannot enter Thailand without a visa FACT and they cannot have any hope of gaining full citizenship unless they have stayed here for 10 years on a full work permit and then only 100 farangs are granted per year full citizenship.Now lets take the Thai entering the UK shall we, They apply for a visa which is 6 months and then after that they can on returning to Thailand apply for a 2 year visa after which they can take the citizenship exam and become a British national.

Thais can also buy land and property as long as the money is of legal means so please explain were the parity is here.I am yet to be told that I can own land without having my wife do it or having to create a company and pay massive bribes to allow me to do this.I also fail to see the parity in the visa situation when most people I know have to do a visa rune evry 90 days and pay another load of Baht to some bent official just so they can live here.If they are married and pay tax why not have a 6 month visa and after 2 years mabye a 2 year visa with the option to extend or apply for citizenship.I don't care frankly if you want to go to the UK and steal our women because you are welcome to them as you will soon understand that Thai women are a dream to be married to compared to the UK women so good look with that one mate.

And just one more point, I don't demand nor do I expect anything from Thai people in terms of reciprical treatment as you failed to read I am very happy here and I would rather be here than back in the UK but if the Thai goverment would change slightly maybe the visa rules then that would make me even more happy to be here.I doubt this will happen but in life you never know and if any Thai wants to make a new life in the UK then great go for it and I wish them well with high taxes with every purchase, high tax on there hard earned income and high tax just for living in a home regardless whether or not you own it and that doeasn't include the rest of the things such as dull weather, unhappy people and a host more of other things.

Again Thankyou Thailand for letting me make my home here because I am happy with my lot and no I am not a millionare but I am happy in my work and lifestyle as is my wife and children. :cheers:
shakeyd

Postby Ted on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:07 am

It is interesting how often the question of reciprocal agreements for visa's or purchase of property is discussed. I am married to a thai lady and have 2 daughters born in Australia. They have dual citizenship. After living in Australia for 11 years, we returned to live in Thailand over 2 years ago. The land we purchased and the home are in my wife's name. I have tried unsuccessfully to obtain a ruling if my wife happened to pass away before the children are of legal age, what would happen with the property. Could it be transferred to them with me as their guardian? Also, like other correspondents, I wish the outdated visa requirements could be updated. I have a 'retirement' visa and report every 3 months, with an update every year. As another correspondent stated, limited permanent residence visa's are granted each year and the cost is prohibitive. You are still required to report anyway. Another point, what constitutes a true thai. I read recently that 60 per cent of thai's are of chinese origin. I agree that countries need to have rules to protect its own, but thai people need to understand that opportunities for maintaining living standards and for the advancement of its young people, they need to adopt a broader vision. Although people believe (or want to) that Thailand is a democracy, they need to understand what constitutes that. Changing governments by force is not.
Ted

Postby eff_ewe on Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:46 am

Thailand is and always will be a laggard country. The elected officials speak of progress and prosperity but are thinking of only themselves in these regards. Thailand is Thailand and it ain't gonna change. Tolerate it or go to Laos or Cambodia. Perhaps when Thailand figures out why everyone is avoiding their country, they will make the changes necessary to once again become a recommended destination for vacations and residence.

Efff_ewe
eff_ewe

Next

Return to Setting up a company in Thailand - what's required